A grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate comfort food and a childhood favorite. And even though it may seem hard to top the simple melted American cheese version, these recipes succeed. Fancy cheeses, rustic veggies, and unexpected flavors (pizza grilled cheese, anyone?), take this beloved sandwich to the next level. Here are 14 reasons to get out your skillet and give the grilled cheese a major makeover.
Featured Image and Recipe by: Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 slices whole-grain bread (such as Eureka! Organic Bread)
- 4 tablespoons Spinach Basil Pesto
- 4 slices Arla Dofino® Creamy Havarti (or 4 ounces, grated)
- 2/3 cup sliced artichoke hearts (from jar or can, drained)
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on sandwich
- Butter the outsides of the bread with butter. Spread the insides of the bread slices evenly with pesto. Put a slice of Havarti on the bottom piece of bread, add artichoke hearts, and top with another slice of Havarti. Place the other piece of bread on top, creating a sandwich.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle pan over medium-low heat and place the sandwiches butter side down. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt and the bread is golden brown. Carefully flip the sandwich over and cook for an additional about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.